Sunday, July 01, 2007

Day 13 - I just don't get it

After yesterdays disappointment about not getting the correct parts, I decided to sort myself out and just get on with the race - do what you gotta do.
We left at 7am for an early portage which had taken the race leaders about 9 hours to do in the snow. About 3 hours later I was sitting having coffee at the farm at the other side of the portage happy that I had no mishaps.
It was then that I was off on the long dirt road section (which I have learnt to dislike because my ass gets so sore) and was at the support station by 2:30pm. I picked up my box, had some food and drink and headed off to the next support station at Toekomst.
This section is one of my favourites on the trail. Last year we did it in the dark and had a ball. This year I managed to do it in the light - it was absolutely spectacular. The path is a slow downhill through a narrow valley. There's abundant wildlife and I saw plenty of buck near to the track. I was nearly taken out by a startled kudu. It's been a real treat this time - I have seen lots of wildlife close up all along the route.
I also went past the "holy shit, is this the main road?" point that amused Gerrit so much last year which brings me to the title of the post. Gerrit heard of my problem with the parts, got hold of Linden Cycles and Olaf and is currently driving here to deliver the parts. I have no idea what possessed him to do this but I am eternally grateful for his kindness. Not sure how I will ever be able to return the favour.
So I'm hoping that his efforts will get Chocolate back to normal again and I can pick up some speed. My legs are feeling fantastic and strangely enough my mind is also hanging tough. Just before arriving here, I sat on the side of some long-forgotten road and watched a once in a lifetime sunset that stretched right across the sky. I am truly privileged to have this opportunity to do this race. Sometimes it's hard but most times it's heaven.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andre, well you are well and truly back on the road, (with the greatest of thanks to Gerrit), how wonderful. A couple of times during the race I have had my doubts that C.B. and you would finish the race, but now I know that nothing will stop you,( even if it means walking to Capetown.)
Everything is looking positive and great now, so look after you legs, even if they have to 180rpm,
Lots of Love, STAY STRONG.
LOVE
MOM.

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't believe you're still going so strong. Who thought a single speed would take you this far. Need to speed up though, Kyle could keep up with you at your current rate. Take care, we are thinking of you all the time. Lots of love, Lindsay and the kids.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andre
I know I am blond, but it's taken me 1300 km to realise that choclate brownie shares her initials with your wife, coincidence? By the way, seeing that you love the fixed gear thing so much, I have a road bike in the shed for you, she is pink and has no gears (or brakes). Have fun in baviaans.
Cheers
Olaf

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Andre,
Man am I glad to see you back on track ( with transponder working again ) I was starting to panic not seeing any movement on the transponder on Thurs/Fri. Spoke to Corrine on Sat who gave me the good news. Gerrit is the most amozing person with friends like him, Olaf, Linden Cycles and yor wonderfull wife nothing can stop you. YOU ROCK !!!
Keep up the good work,
Alan.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andre, yes you are so lucky to have a friend like Olaf. You are one of the most lucky people in the world to be able to do this race. Enjoy the rest of this race - be save and have FUN!!! Corlette

11:17 AM  
Blogger Averageguy said...

Keep going!!! Sounds like you are strong like Russia. Makes our little epic in March seem a bit pointless. Mountain Bikers make the best friends, and it looks like you have the best of the best.
Enjoy every minute and remember that we are all watching from our boring little offices, crying into our coffee because we are not there!

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andre, keep up the good work. It is truely inspiring to read your postings every day. It is amazing what true friends are made of and I am grateful that you have such good friends. Keep going man!!!
Francois

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andre
Rockhoppers are proud of you. We had a lovely race a Phambili yesterday (no snow) our thoughts were with you. Good luck with the rest of the race and beware of the wild animals!!

Iris and Pierre

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andre....see your eating habits haven't changed then! you still eat like a horse...well i suppose that's also a criteria for being part of this family! I have all the faith in the world that you'll get to the end and know that you take on each challenge head on! Love you...tanja

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are still going SO strong and we are SO proud!!!! Bragging to everyone what a superstar you are. Keep going and please finish before Christmas otherwise who is going to cook for us?? Mike says you would have been the best reccie ever, time for a career change? Lots of love Liz and Mike

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home