Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Day 9 - Snow!

During the Ride to Rhodes finishers' dinner, David mentioned how this race brings out true character. Today was one of those days that does it's best to do an impromptu character test.


Andy walked out the door this morning and said that it was spitting - I think he meant with rain. I started riding and realised that the spitting was in fact light snow. The possible wind nightmare that I mentioned yesterday gave way to an overcast cold day - the maximum temperature was 1C and the minimum was -1C. The day started as a normal cold Karoo day which gradually transitioned to a white winter wonderland.

I didn't know that there are different types of snow - it starts as big flaky drifting snow, then when the temperature drops a bit and the wind picks up you get horizontal sheets of ice which catches into into your face and into any exposed skin. The last type is the dreamy balls that is advertised in American movies -it really is like that and quite mesmerising.

All 3 types are really, really cold and my feet were so icy and sore. For the first time in the race, my mental resolve wavered but a hot cup of coffee and a chat to Corrinne put me back on the road.


Can't say much about the terrain today but the fields were white and the roads were muddy.

Our overnight stop is the same one that I stayed at when I was sick last year. Steph and Bill are looking after us like visiting royalty - washing is being done, bikes are washed and I am expecting a super meal. I don't know what the snow equivalent of an oasis is but this is it.

The guys all had a hard day but the spirit in the group is still good and we are progressing well. Apparently Kevin is quite close to catching up again but unfortunately Dillon has withdrawn.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andre
Sounds amazing.
Hou bene hou!!
Groete
Riaan

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andre.

It really sounds like an amaizing race. Would really like to do it some time. I have more gears though.
Enjoy.
The other Riaan

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So now you are trying to be a snowman, stick to being the superhero with the other guys, T. said its a good idea to stay together then you can all snuggle up together when you're cold. LOL.Thinking of you trudging along in that weather, presume only time you are warm is when you're cycling, so get those legs moving, hope you put anti-freeze into the C.B., she still needs TLC (same as you all).
Go well my boy, all strength and warmth to. Im proud of you.
Love MOM.

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Andre The honey moon is over it is now where training and discipline is coming into play keep a clear head You have some nasty weather ahead of you, keep in the bundle god speed to you and your fellow riders and to the lady up ahead you are an inspiration to all. Andre trap die trappe wys hulle waar dawid die wortels gegrawe het
regards and take care
Dad

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Andre

My treat every day is reading your blog and seeing your progress and reading your amazing stories. It sounds really tough yet exhilirating and I am so glad that the navigation is working out!

Take care
Love
Shann
xxx

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gviuafjkAndre - you go boy !!!
I'm office bound and you are snow bound - I would trade places with you any day. One day when I'm big I will do this race. Head up and keep going you certainly know how to humble us mere mortal mountain bikers.
Enjoy every minute - take lots of pix,
Alan.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andre - you go boy !!!
I'm office bound and you are snow bound - I would trade places with you any day. One day when I'm big I will do this race. Head up and keep going you certainly know how to humble us mere mortal mountain bikers.
Enjoy every minute - take lots of pix,
Alan.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andre
Watching your progress everyday. I am sure you rising to the challenge of the cold weather...I wouldn't expect anything less from you..after all it's the challenge you enjoy! Take it easy and try and enjoy it....no pain no gain..AND DON'T FORGET PHOTOS!!! I am really proud of you...
love your little sister...and the rest of my police station!

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi ya

you are about 3cm away from the back group so keep up the good work...you should be able to see them soon! :)
tanja

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home