Saturday, June 16, 2007

Ready, steady, go

Everything is checked, checked again, and ready to go. I'll be leaving tomorrow morning with some of the other racers from around here. We're all travelling together in Mike's passion wagon, so there will be plenty time to spin a yarn or two, and get the others more nervous - all in good spirit of course.

Thanks to everyone who has wished me luck - I hope all of it adds up to give me a safe and successful race this year. The interest and support has been phenominal, and I hope it will inspire everyone to have a go at something that they always thought was impossible to achieve. It is good for your "head space" and gives a wonderful feeling of achievment. My mom always said, "If you don't try, you will never know"; I think she was refering to eating veggies at the time, after I said I didn't like the taste of any green food, but the idea stuck anyway.

For those that are around my wife, please give her lots of support - I know the next few weeks are really tough on her, but without her love and tolerance, I would not be able to follow my dreams and achieve the seemingly impossible. Many hours and sacrifices go into preparing for an adventure like this and she is always with me every step of the way -always with an encouraging word and a "Just be safe" to send me on my way.

Next time I post will be from somewhere in KZN after our first stage, and from there on in the fun begins.

PS. The security light is fixed.

8 Comments:

Blogger Olaf 42 said...

Howzit Andre
Hope you are enjouying your day in a car on a highway looking at he country side speeding past. Hopefully it will be the last time you do this for the next 3 weeks.
I wish to state for the record I dd not suggest you take that silly bike for the ride, I merely thought it was a good idea, spares, weight, looks and all.
Have a good one.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well my boy,
Not too many hours to wait now, here's wishing the greatest of luck on that Chocolate Brownie, you will be in my mind constantly.
Love
Mom.

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I followed your ride last year with so much interest - and spread the word around these parts a fair bit so others could do the same. Want to tell you that it was inspirational. I was sent the news that you are doing it again by Martie Sharrock, and who lives in Botswana. So, you see, Andre, word spreads like wildfire these days and I know our prayers will be with you as I wish you God Speed on your journey.

All the very best from Scotland

Phyllis Elias

9:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Andre
How do we know on the tracker who you are? They named 01 to 16.
Regards
Jan

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andre,

Good luck and may the Singlespeed Force be with you and the Rigid Fork gods steer your way.

Cheers,
Shaun Weber.

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andre.
Give them GAS, or is it PEDAL. Enjoy it!
And Jan: Andre is number 11 - My page show a legend.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Andre
You are a legend for taking on this challenge again. You must have a good start and a good race. You were strong at the epic this year, you guys stretched us and it was awesome riding with you. So give it horns and enjoy the riding.

We will be tracking you on MtbOnline and spreading the word.
cheers
Alan

8:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Andre
They numbered you now as nr.11 but you will have to run a macro on your GPS as yours is not wotking.
Enjoy every moment of the race.
Jan

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home