Monday, June 26, 2006

Day 10 - Fever!

Oh no! I woke up this morning with a raging fever - I was walking round the cottage in shorts and t-shirt, not feeling the cold, but I could see my breath. Gerrit basically sent me back to bed. I woke about 1.5hrs later feeling a lot better, packed and got going to try and haul the other two in. For about 200m.

Decided to get on the main tar road to the nearest town - only 50km away, to get to a doctor. I was doing about 10km/h, my lungs were bursting, and there was nothing in my legs. I was really struggling, especially out of concern of ruining my race by riding sick, but I had to get to the doctor. Lo and behold my guardian angel helped once again, and added another person to my list of generous people. We are so dependent on the help of others, considering that this is an un-supported race.

Stef owns the guest house where we are staying tonight, and was on the way to get a dress for her daughter - miles aways from where she lives. Justoutside of town she picked me up, took me to the doctor (who is a really good vet MTB racer), and after explaining to him how the race has been going so far, he sorted me out with drugs, and booked me off for a day. Rather lose a day than trash the race.

Stef then gave me a bakkie to drive to the farm with, where I met another MTB enthusiast (Wil the owner of the farm). Immediately showered and got clean - chatted for a while, and they kindly allowed me to use the computer to update all my blogs.

I'll be satying here for tomorrow, but my bike got a good clean, my clothes got a good clean, and I'm going to try and sleep this bug of now.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey stinky!!! you sound like you having lot of fun...one of my nails has dropped off as well-must be one of those brother sister things. Anyway good to hear you still so positive and appreciating the scenary. Its wonderful to hear the stories. keep it up! love you lots, tanja
xxx

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andre

Thanks for the link to our site, we are following your progress. Hope you feel better soon. Your adventure is awesome, keep going and keep the posts comming

cheers
Alan

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep going Andre. Good luck

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JO dude
What is this feigning weakness! Just a a bit of dehydration and the body fous.Hope you have had a good kip and have been able to recharge. The dish you are looking for, cheezy sauce, brinjals (you thought thay were tatoes), mince it is called Moussaka. Something to dream about when you cruize through the windsweptflatbarrensmallleafyplantsdeadrabbitsdusty Karoo tomorrow.
sterkte

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andre,

Hope that you are feeling much better and that you are on your way again ! Hang in there, drink lots of water.

Thinking of you...Wessel, Corlette & Zander

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there son trust you are well and on your way again nobody said this ride is going to be a walk in he park Enjoy it, appreciate to have the health and ability to do it. Just some good advice from your old dad, It is not how hard you work it is how clever you work!!

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andre try and put the codes on the map of the places where you are on your blog. You are now entering Karroo country, better brush up on your Afrikaans
Mooi bly
pa

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, what an adventure!!! Definite once in a lifetime dream, hey? And stories I'm sure your grandchildren will be relishing in years to come!

Hope you are feeling much better and able to get on with the race - looking forward to your next update!

Lekker ry in die groot Karoo!

Lots of love from Scotland
Shann
xxx

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andre
Hope you feel better soon and that you can continue this epic journey. I wish you all the best...keep going. We are all proud of you for making it this far.
Francois

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... There's a great ad for the Volvo S60 in here somewhere.
Drove past your house yesterday.
Corrinne was home - I could hear ABBA on full blast.
I now know why you are doing this.

Good luck man.
Andrew.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Andre

Hope you are feeling betterand super strong again. Following your challenge with huge interest! Well done and enjoy every minute - you may never travel these roads again

Take care
Terry Spinman
terry@spinman.co.za

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Andre! We "wussies" take great vicarious pleasure in your exploits! I am a friend of Gerrit Pretorius and when you next see him please give him my best regards and assure him, as I assure you, that you are in our thoughts daily as we wish we could share your life enhancing (and changing?) experiences. It is for me very heartening (from your enthralling tales) how one's fellow man so readily and selflessly springs to help when help is really needed.
I am humbled and greatly encouraged by your endeavours!
Do keep it up - we (many of us, believe me) are solidly behind you all the way to Paarl!

Cheers,
Roland von Gogh
Hartbeespoort

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home